2020-2021 DOCUMENTS


English Energy Assistance Application

Spanish Energy Assistance Application


Income Verification Affidavit


Indiana DWD Release of Information Form


Landlord Affidavit


EAP Intake Sites


News and Annoucements

The Energy Assistance Program Application Process is open for the 2020-2021 Season.

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) can help you pay your heat and electric bills! EAP is a federally-funded program through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) called the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). EAP provides a one-time annual benefit that can assist you with the high cost of home energy and can help if you are about to get disconnected. However, an EAP benefit will not cover all of your annual heating and electrics costs, so you should continue to pay your bills regularly.

What are the Income Limits and Eligibility Requirements?
The amounts listed below, for 1-8 household members, are 60% of the State Median Income. If your household has 9 or more members, the amount is based on 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

Please note that for eligibility determination, we us the most recent three months of income. Monthly and annual equivalent amounts are listed below for reference purposes only.

Below are the minimum requirements to apply for EAP.

* A completed and signed 2020-2021 application in English or in Spanish
* Proof of income for the past 3 months for all household members age 18 and over except full time students.
* Proof of current enrollment in school (report card, student schedule, etc.) for students over 18 who have income.
* An Income Verification Affidavit for any household member age 18 and over who has had zero income for any of the previous three months.
* If any member of your household recives unemployment income, the Indiana DWD Release of Information Form must be completed.
* A copy of a state or federally issued photo ID such as a driver's license, military ID, or passport for the person signing the application.
* A valid social security number for all household members age 1 and over. This may be in the form of a Social Security Card, and Indiana-issued REAL ID, or US Passport.
* Note: if there are household members who do not have a valid social security number, the household may still be eligible for EAP benefits. Anyone in this situation should contact the local service provider.
* A copy of your most recent utility bills for both heat and electric. EAP benefits will be paid to utility vendors directly.
* If you have utilities included in rent, you must provide a current lease or Landlord Affidavit signed by your landlord.

sent to you or submit an online application and indicate that you are in crisis.
Please note that we cannot prevent disconnections scheduled prior to November 1, 2020.

What other kind of Utility Assistance is available?
The EAP program may not be able to cover all of your utility bill or you may not be eligible in certain circumstances:
Resource Connections 1-800-826-7871
Indiana 211 Partnership
Township Trustees
Faith-based or Community-based Organizations

Where can I submit the application I printed from the NWICA website?

Due to COVID related restrictions, the best option is to complete your application online, or click here for a list of drop-off and mail-in sites. If this creates challenges or you are unable to access for any reason, please call you nearest intake site.


LaPorte, Pulaski & Starke County Energy Assistance Programs are administered by North Central Community Action Agency in Michigan City, Indiana



Crown Point, IN –Northwest Indiana Community Action (NWICA) encourages individuals recently experiencing a loss of income due to COVID-19 to apply for the Energy Assistance Program (EAP). Each year, this federal program assists approximately 14,500 households here in Northwest Indiana with the cost of heating homes; energy education and suggestions for reducing a household’s energy consumption. The 2019-2020 heating season began in November and is scheduled to end on May 15, 2020.

“Many hardworking individuals have lost their jobs as a result of this pandemic and in order to ‘flatten the curve’. All state and federal resources such as the economic impact payments, filing for unemployment, and safety net programs like EAP should be explored in order to protect families whose livelihoods are affected by this disease,” said Gary Olund, NWICA President/CEO.

Those who believe they meet the above criteria are encouraged to apply, even if they did not meet income eligibility requirements previously but now are experiencing a loss.
In keeping with the social distancing recommendations, you may now apply one of three, no-contact ways.

1) Visit the EAP Connect Website at https://ihcda.rhsconnect.com/portal/ to apply and download necessary documents online.
2) Visit our agency website at http://www.nwi-ca.org/families/utility.html to print the entire application and return (by mail only) as directed on the application. No applications will be accepted as a drop-off as our offices are closed to the public at this time.
3) Dial NWICA’s Resource Connections department at 1-800-826-7871 option #1 to request that an application be mailed to you.


Northwest Indiana Community Action (NWICA) is a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to helping vulnerable populations overcome barriers to independence. Designated as the Area Agency on Aging, the Community Action Agency, our organization is committed to innovative interventions leading to the creation of communities that support the independence of individuals and families across the lifespan. To learn more about NWICA please dial 1-800-826-7871, visit us on social or at our website www.nwi-ca.com.